Dean of the School of Nursing & Health Sciences
- November 2, 2018
- Priority Deadline to Apply:
- January 7, 2019
- North Park University
North Park University, in partnership with the national search firm of Scott Healy & Associates, seeks a dynamic and entrepreneurial leader to serve as the Dean of the School of Nursing and Health Sciences. The Dean will serve as leader for the School of Nursing and Health Sciences while demonstrating leadership that is participative, consensus building, and decisive.
The ideal Dean will set high expectations and accountability while taking initiative with a proactive approach in responding to new opportunities. Exhibiting personal and professional integrity and supporting the culture of collegiality and mentorship will be important to the Dean’s success.
- Demonstrates proficiency in program assessment, development, and revision consistent with professional standards.
- Assesses the resource needs of the School of Nursing and Health Sciences and demonstrates sound fiscal management.
- Pursues grant opportunities and other funding sources
- Chairs meetings of the School of Nursing and Health Sciences Faculty Council
- Prepares official reports for professional organizations and state and federal agencies
- Develops health science and nursing programs that align with the North Park University strategic plan
- Establishes and maintains cooperative relationships and contractual agreements with agencies to ensure appropriate student learning experiences
- Engages faculty to develop and maintain policies and procedures for nursing and health science programs
- Collaborates with the faculty in establishing academic responsibilities
- Encourages, promotes, and facilitates professional development and scholarly activities of faculty
- Initiates leadership development for faculty holding administrative responsibility
- Recruits, interviews, and approves the hiring of all full-time and part-time faculty that reflects North Park University’s tri-fold identity of Christian, city-centered and intercultural education
- Coordinates the evaluation of full-time and part-time faculty performance for renewal of contracts, and for promotion and tenure
- Ensures adherence to the accreditation process for all programs within the School of Nursing and Health Sciences
- Seeks opportunities to engage students in the academic, professional, and scholarly life of the School of Nursing and Health Sciences
- Represents the School of Nursing and Health Sciences in academic and professional matters at local, state, national, and international levels
- Maintains the advisory board and holds meetings as defined in School of Nursing and Health Sciences bylaws.
- Collaborates with enrollment management and marketing personnel to develop growth strategies in accordance with the University strategic plan.
- Fosters a culture of inter-professional education both within and outside the School of Nursing and Health Sciences.
- Collaborates with other University leaders in strengthening the intellectual and spiritual development of the university.
- Participates in classroom teaching or comparable activities.
The Dean should meet the following qualifications:
- Earned professional or research doctorate in nursing or related discipline from an accredited university
- Commitment to and ability to effectively articulate North Park University’s core institutional identity:
- Christian - Leads a life of faith in word and action; nurtures faith, balancing commitment and freedom
- Intercultural - Embraces and values all people, celebrates the global cultural tapestry, and supports the reconciling mandate of the Christian gospel
- City-Centered - Engages Chicago as a dynamic place of learning and service
- Experience in academic administrative leadership with involvement in accreditation processes, minimum 5 years
- Professional licensure, Registered Nurse Preferred
- Evidence of scholarly contributions (seminars, presentations, research, and publications)
About The Institution
Founded in 1891 by the Evangelical Covenant Church, North Park University is located on Chicago’s north side and enrolls 3,200 students from around the world. At North Park, excellence implies not only a deep tradition in the liberal arts and Christian faith, but a spirit of reaching out to serve and learn from the surrounding dynamic and diverse community. Rooted in the Christian faith, North Park welcomes students from all or no faith backgrounds and fosters an understanding of all beliefs. At North Park you’ll find a dialogue that nurtures spiritual growth and exploration.
Mission: The mission of North Park University, as the University of the Evangelical Covenant Church, is to prepare students for lives of significance and service through education in the liberal arts, professional studies, and theology.
Vision: Building on our core institutional identity—Christian, city-centered, intercultural—our vision is to create a university of uncommon character and enduring excellence, where faith, learning, and service meet.
About The Community
The Chicagoland Area
North Park values that Chicago is our classroom and all Chicagoans are our teachers. Located on Foster Avenue in Chicago’s North Side Albany Park and North Park neighborhoods, the University takes full advantage of the opportunities its urban environment affords. With 2.7 million residents in the city limits—and nearly 10 million people in metropolitan Chicagoland—this is the third largest city and metro in the nation, and a destination for 55 million visitors each year from all over the world. The iconic skyline features prominently among the tallest buildings in the nation and can be seen from places across the campus, reminding viewers of the businesses, industries, and people that have built Chicago into the world-class city it is today.
For NPU’s students, the city is an integral part of learning, entertainment, and service experiences. Because of NPU’s Chicago location, the campus community can travel easily by public transportation to internships downtown or in other neighborhoods. The professors use Chicago to foster learning about people, history, economics, languages, communication—the city offers hands-on experiences in nearly every subject and discipline.
All correspondence relating to the Dean of the School of Nursing and Health Sciences position should be directed in confidence to the University’s executive recruitment consultant:
Mr. Christopher S. Healy, Vice President
Scott Healy & Associates
The full and complete application should contain the following information:
1) A cover letter outlining your leadership experience in nursing and health sciences and/or in related fields in higher education.
2) A complete CV including your career in higher education.
3) The names of five professional references including their relationship to you, their position, email, and direct phone numbers. References will not be contacted without written permission.
Applications submitted by December 17, 2018, will receive priority consideration. This search will remain open until the position is filled.
North Park University is an equal opportunity employer, and we do not and will not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, or status as a disabled veteran or Vietnam-era veteran. Information provided will not be used for any discriminatory purpose. However, as a religious educational institution owned and operated by the Evangelical Covenant Church, North Park is permitted and reserves the right to select employees on the basis of their religious faith [Title VII, Section 702-703, United States Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended, and the Illinois Human Rights Act Section 2-101(B)(2)].