Founding Director, Physician Assistant Program
- September 6, 2023
- Priority Deadline to Apply:
- October 31, 2023
- Sam Houston State University
Sam Houston State University (SHSU), in partnership with the national search firm, Scott Healy & Associates, invites applications and nominations for the position of Founding Director for the proposed* Physician Assistant Program. Sam Houston State University seeks an innovative and dynamic leader to serve in this full-time appointment within the College of Health Sciences (COHS). This is a full-time, tenure-eligible, 12-month position that reports directly to the Dean of the COHS. Salary is commensurate with professional experience and academic preparation.
The proposed Physician Assistant Program will be housed in Conroe, Texas on SHSU’s Medical and Health Professions Campus, and will matriculate students in Fall 2026. In 2021, SHSU received tuition revenue bond funding to build an 80,000 square foot Health Professions Building. The new building, estimated to open in December 2025, will house four academic programs including the MS in Athletic Training, MS in Dietetics, MS in Physician Assistant (proposed), and Doctor of Physical Therapy (proposed). Conroe, Texas is in Montgomery County about 40 miles north of Houston, the 4th largest city and most diverse city in the U.S. The Houston Medical Center, located near downtown Houston, is the world’s largest medical complex. The SHSU Medical and Health Professions campus is approximately 10 miles north of the “Medical Center of the north.”
*Subject to approval by applicable governing and accrediting agencies.
- Curriculum development;
- Strategic planning and partnerships;
- Fiscal management of personnel and faculty/staff resources;
- Collaboration and innovation for interprofessional education (IPE);
- Application for initial accreditation that meets all standards of Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA);
- Ongoing maintenance of accreditation;
- Recruitment for the program;
- Leading and administering the program;
- Continually evaluating and advancing the goals of the program; and
- Other duties as assigned by the Dean of the COHS.
- Minimum of a master’s degree from an accredited Physician Assistant Program; doctorate degree preferred.
- Must be a certified Physician Assistant.
- Three years of full-time higher education experience at the time of appointment.
- Outstanding organizational skills, communication, time management skills, and self-motivation.
- Licensure as a Physician Assistant in the State of Texas, or eligible to obtain licensure.
- Previous teaching experience in higher education.
- Previous experience with ARC-PA.
- Previous leadership/administrative experience.
About The Institution
About Sam Houston State University:
For more than 140 years, as a member of the Texas State University System, SHSU has been preparing students for meaningful lives of achievement. Its motto, “The measure of a Life is its Service,” resonates among its approximately 21,612 students, eight colleges and well beyond its Huntsville roots. Sam Houston State offers top-ranked degree programs, and graduates are not only well-prepared to think and respond to the workforce needs of a rapidly changing world, but also stand ready to serve their community.
SHSU offers an extensive range of bachelor’s and master’s degrees, as well as doctorates in selected areas. The faculty and the University are recognized regionally, nationally, and internationally. The mission of SHSU is to provide high quality education, scholarship, and service to students and to regional, state, national, and international constituencies.
About the College of Health Sciences:
The College of Health Sciences began operations in 2013 and is comprised of four academic units including the Departments of Human Sciences, Kinesiology, and Public Health, and the School of Nursing. COHS serves almost 3,000 students across thirteen undergraduate programs and six graduate programs. As a Hispanic-Serving Institution, serving and meeting the needs of all our students is central to our mission. In addition, almost 50% of our students identify as first-generation college students. Faculty and students across several of our COHS academic programs, in partnership with the SHSU College of Osteopathic Medicine, engage in a variety of Interprofessional Education (IPE) activities each academic year.
About The Community
About Conroe, Texas:
Conroe is the fastest-growing city in Texas, and boasts an abundance of exciting offerings. Conroe is bordered by 22,000-acre Lake Conroe, Sam Houston National Forest, and W. Goodrich Jones State Forest, making for a veritable utopia for the outdoor lover. Conroe is also located just north of The Woodlands, a dynamic community located within a natural forest and home to approximately 120,000 residents. Conroe Independent School District, which serves both Conroe and The Woodlands, is home to top-ranked schools. The Woodlands offers intellectual stimulation through cultural institutions like the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion, which hosts world-class performances. Both Conroe and The Woodlands are located in Montgomery County, which is one of the fastest growing areas in the United States. Conroe’s close proximity to metropolitan experiences, outdoor activities, shopping, and sports make it uniquely positioned to offer a variety of opportunities for its residents. Conroe’s close proximity to the Houston-Galveston metroplex also provides a large number of activities and multicultural partnership opportunities not found in many other areas.
All correspondence relating to the position of Founding Director, Physician Assistant Program at Sam Houston State University should be directed in confidence to the University’s executive search consultant:
Christopher Healy, President
Scott Healy & Associates
A complete application should include the following:
- Cover Letter outlining your interest and qualifications for the position;
- Updated CV;
- Three (3) professional references with contact information, title, institutional affiliation, email address and direct phone numbers. (No references will be contacted without written permission from the candidate.)
Applications received by October 31, 2023 will receive priority consideration. The search will remain open until the position is filled.
Sam Houston State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and Smoke/Drug-Free Workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, ancestry, marital status, citizenship, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, or gender identity or expression. Sam Houston State University is an "at will" employer. Employees with a contract will have additional terms and conditions. Security sensitive positions at SHSU require background checks in accordance with Education Code § 51.215.