Director of Admissions
- July 27, 2023
- Priority Deadline to Apply:
- October 20, 2023
- University of Maine at Fort Kent
University of Maine at Fort Kent, in partnership with the national search firm, Scott Healy & Associates, invites applications and nominations for the position of Director of Admissions. University of Maine at Fort Kent seeks a dynamic leader to provide strategic leadership and management for all aspects of a comprehensive admissions program to ensure achievement of UMFK's enrollment goals in a manner consistent with the university's mission and strategic plan. The director employs strong skills in leadership, communication, budget management, and program development in the planning, implementations and assessment of UMFK's recruitment processes and policies. This position is a direct report to the Executive Director of Marketing & Brand Management.
Primary responsibilities include the development and supervision of the admissions personnel; management and employment of data to inform planning and strategy; input into communication strategies including print and electronic media; and management of a highly personalized application review process, including significant one-on-one contact with prospective students and their families. May include some recruiting activities that could involve travel.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Manage the development and supervision of the Admissions Department staff including, but not limited to: scheduling, territory assignment, student group management, attendance at recruiting events and conferences, communication plans, role assignments, and more
- Oversee admission and enrollment processes from first inquiry through matriculation
- Develop relationships with faculty and staff to assist the Admissions team in remaining up-to-date with evolving changes in programs and student life
- Management of a streamlined application review process to include auto-decisioning and significant one-on-one contact with prospective students and their families
- Utilize Salesforce CRM to oversee and develop communications plans to include traditional, nontraditional, domestic, international, online, and on-campus student opportunity populations
- Work with the Executive Director of Marketing and Brand Management to implement a recruitment plan to target, nurture, and enroll students
- Collect and analyze meaningful data regarding admissions for our university and throughout the industry to support strategic decision-making
- Develop and manage the Admissions budget
- Oversee the planning, scheduling and strategies of UMFK Admissions originated events, on and off campus. These events include participating in community festivals and events, group tours individual student visits, open houses, Bengal Bound Days, Zoom info sessions, and more
- Represent UMFK at workshops, conferences, and fairs
- Participate in University of Maine System initiatives and/or committees concerning the Admissions process
- Familiarize and remain current with financial aid updates, processes, communications, and opportunities
- Carry out additional reasonable and related responsibilities as assigned by the Executive Director of Marketing and Brand Management
- Work with the Assistant Director of Admissions to organize, plan, and execute recruitment travel
- Travel for recruitment and events required
- This position supervises the Admissions Counselors, Admissions Communication Specialist, and a Data Management Tech. Tasks included in this supervisory role are recruiting, hiring, training, developing, scheduling, and evaluating job performance.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Comprehensive working knowledge of current best practices in admissions operations, programs and services.Excellent team leadership and management skills, including ability to evaluate employees and facilitate their training and professional development
- Experience in utilizing a CRM for student funnel management, Salesforce experience preferred
- The ideal candidate will possess an outgoing and personable nature with strong leadership skills and an ability to motivate and inspire people, especially youth and direct reports
- Ability to relate to a diverse pool of prospective students and their families
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Team player with the ability to work independently
- Proficiency in MS Word, Exel, and Powerpoint and ability to learn and use new software and systems
- Access to transportation and willingness and ability to travel extensively
- Recruitment responsibilities as needed during high-recruitment periods
- Bachelor’s Degree required; advanced degree preferred.
- Three to five years of progressively responsible admissions college or university admissions experience, including supervisory experience; or an equivalency knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Access to transportation and ability to travel.
About The Institution
About University of Maine at Fort Kent:
UMFK’s mission is to nurture and engage a diversity of learners and aspiring professionals through affordable, technologically-enhanced, and professionally-focused educational programs. The faculty, staff, and surrounding communities help students develop into engaged and productive citizens who appreciate the natural environment and cultural opportunities in the immediate area and across the globe.
Taught by full-time faculty, our average class size is 16 students to one faculty member. Our students come to us from throughout the United States as well as approximately 30 countries.
UMFK ranks among the top tier of all northern colleges for the tenth consecutive year, according to the U.S. News & World Report 2021 rankings. For the past 15 years, UMFK has been repeatedly selected as one of the outstanding colleges and universities that The Princeton Review recommends to college applicants in its print and online editions.
About The Community
About Fort Kent, Maine:
The great outdoor environment of the St. John Valley and forests of New England provide UMFK with abundant resources for learning and research, as well as easy access to the joys of outdoor sports and nature activities. The University and surrounding communities also play important roles in preserving, cultivating, and celebrating the Franco-American/Acadian culture in the St. John Valley and housing one of two Acadian Archives/Archives acadiennes in the nation. UMFK is the only institution in the United States located at the center of the French culture of northern Maine, eastern New Brunswick, and western Québec, offering opportunities for students to study and live in a bilingual region. The surrounding town of Fort Kent is a welcoming town of approximately 3,800 people who are active in various festivals, community gatherings, and civic work. UMFK is embedded near the center of town allowing easy access to amenities and the community at large.
All correspondence relating to the position of Director of Admissions at University of Maine at Fort Kent should be directed in confidence to the University’s executive search consultant:
Mr. Jamie Marcus, Vice President
Scott Healy & Associates
A complete application should include the following:
- Cover Letter outlining your interest and qualifications for the position;
- Updated CV;
- Three (3) professional references with contact information, title, institutional affiliation, email address and direct phone numbers. (No references will be contacted without written permission from the candidate.)
Applications received by October 20, 2023 will receive priority consideration. The search will remain open until the position is filled.
Equal Opportunity Statement: The University of Maine at Fort Kent is an EEO/AA employer and does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender expression, national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, genetic information or veteran’s status in employment, education, and all other programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies: Director of Equal Opportunity, 101 North Stevens Hall, University of Maine, Orono, ME 04469-5754, 207.581.1226, TTY 711 (Maine Relay System).