Director of Finance
- January 19, 2023
- Priority Deadline to Apply:
- February 16, 2023
- Mitchell College
Mitchell College, in partnership with the national search firm, Scott Healy & Associates, invites applications and nominations for the position of Director of Finance. The Director of Finance will be responsible for working with the Vice President of Finance to manage the budget planning, financial analyses, financial reconciliations, reporting, and forecasting functions for the College. The incumbent will need to understand institutional strategies and goals, ensure the alignment with the budgeted resources and seek to create efficiencies where possible. Other areas of responsibility include developing standard operating procedures, supervising a small business office staff and providing interdepartmental training/mentorship on their assigned tasks.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Manage the annual budget development process for operations, capital projects, grant funds and accounting reports to maintain expenditure controls and budget alignment campus wide.
- Conduct internal Budget Committee meetings as needed throughout the fiscal year.
- Oversee the annual operating budget for the Business Office.
- Supervise the Business Office staffing, comprising a Comptroller, Staff Accountant, Bursar and an Accounts Payable/Payroll clerk.
- Ensure that budget adjustments are made in accordance with institutional changes.
- Manage grant and gift funding resources within the parameters of the funding restrictions and provide reports to the managers and/or the Office of Advancement.
- Report on restricted resources to appropriate department and determine where funding is underutilized.
- Manage contractual relationships and purchase order commitments, with respect to proper encumbrances, pricing and invoices and insurance requirements.
- Generate periodic and ad hoc reports as operationally necessary or as requested.
- Oversee the financial management of contracts and vendor relations with the College
- Conduct research on trends in higher education and recommends strategies based on industry practices.
- Support preparation of board committee materials.
- Other duties as assigned.
- BA/BS in a related field required; as is a CPA designation and/or Advanced Degree in related field.
- 3+ years’ relevant non-profit experience and knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Proficiency in MS Office suite, along with advanced Excel skills.
- Analytical skills to independently and proficiently assume responsibility for coordination and completion of complex projects requiring interactions both internal and external constituents.
- Blackbaud Financial System experience a plus, but not required.
About The Institution
About Mitchell College:
A nonprofit four-year coeducational, residential college offering bachelor degrees and associate degrees, Mitchell developed its distinct educational approach over 80 years, blending a tradition of mentoring with an expertise in teaching diverse learning styles to create the innovative Mitchell Ability Model. Through a journey of self-discovery, learning adaptability, four-year career development, and mastery of essential abilities, students are challenged, supported and equipped for lifelong success. Mitchell is committed to the broader community through building strong, creative and cooperative partnerships. Located on a beautiful waterfront campus in historic New London, it is also home to championship NCAA Division III athletics and highly sought-after Living & Learning support programs including Thames at Mitchell College, The Mystic Program, and the Bentsen Learning Center.
Located in New London, CT, Mitchell College is a suburban, residential, coastal campus situated on the Thames River shoreline. Our 68-acre campus includes two private beaches, athletic fields and the Mitchell Woods green space (woods, pond and walking trails). Campus buildings include multi-level classroom and administrative buildings, historic homes, an athletic building, performing arts spaces, dining areas, residence halls, The Red Barn, an event space for both the college and the community, and Michael’s Dairy, an old-fashioned ice cream shop serving New London residents and visitors.
About The Community
About New London, Connecticut:
New London, CT is a small coastal city located one hour from Hartford and Providence and two hours from Boston and New York City. New London is a diverse community with a rich arts and music scene, ample housing options, fine dining, public parks, and numerous recreational activities. The deep-water port offers waterfront access and the intermodal transportation center provides easy transportation by rail, bus, and highway. New London offers a unique range of cultural, historical, recreational, and educational amenities that make the city a great place to live and work.
The city contains a variety of commercial areas combined with a collection of intimate residential neighborhoods, a lively downtown, and a revitalized waterfront. Concentrated within a relatively compact area of approximately 6 square miles, with a population of just over 25,000 residents, the city contains an extraordinary variety of attractions for a city of it's size. Within New London’s borders one can find a nationally recognized arts museum, a concentration of National Register of Historic Places and Districts, one of the finest deep water harbors on the eastern seaboard, the region’s major performing arts center and one of the finest recreational beaches on Long Island Sound. The cultural, historical and recreational resources create a truly unparalleled quality of life that our citizens have all come to enjoy.
All correspondence relating to the position of Director of Finance at Mitchell College should be directed in confidence to the College’s executive search consultant:
Mr. Adam W. Barrett, Associate Vice President
Scott Healy & Associates
A complete application should include the following:
- Cover Letter outlining your interest and qualifications for the position;
- Updated CV;
- Three (3) professional references with contact information, title, institutional affiliation, email address and direct phone numbers. (No references will be contacted without written permission from the candidate.)
Applications received by February 16, 2023 will receive priority consideration. The search will remain open until the position is filled.
Mitchell College is an Affirmative Action-Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, disability and genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization or other non-merit factors.