Director for the Physician Assistant Program
- October 31, 2022
- Priority Deadline to Apply:
- December 9, 2022
- Methodist University
Methodist University, in partnership with the national search firm, Scott Healy & Associates, invites applications and nominations for the position of Director for the Physician Assistant Program. The PA department seeks an experienced director to provide leadership for all aspects of the Master of Medical Science degree in PA studies. This position is a tenure-track, 12-month position and reports directly to the Dean of the College of Health Sciences and Human Services (CHSHS). Academic rank and salary are commensurate with level of education, as well as professional and academic experience.
- Manage the planning, implementation, and oversight of the academic program;
- Oversee the recruitment, hiring, and development of qualified faculty and staff to meet the goals of the program;
- Recruitment of adjunct faculty to support the educational goals of the program;
- Oversee and direct student advisement and remediation processes;
- Manage faculty annual reviews, workload, and career development;
- Oversee and direct curriculum planning, implementation, and evaluation;
- Maintain the well-established relationship with the local community to support clinical sites and establish new clinical sites/clinical affiliations;
- Oversee student progress and outcomes during clinical and didactic years;
- Engage in teaching, service, and scholarship activities;
- Oversee the program’s self-study process and ARC-PA accreditation;
- Adhere to ARC-PA standards and policies;
- Supervise all program faculty and staff, including the medical director;
- Manage the program budget;
- Engage with program alumni and other stakeholders;
- Participate in interprofessional education with other departments within the CHSHS;
- Maintain academic appointments and/or assignments comparable to other institutional faculty (i.e., committee appointments, university faculty meetings, etc.); and
- Perform other related duties as assigned for the success of the PA program.
- Master’s degree from an accredited Physician Assistant Program
- Minimum of three years of clinical experience
- Minimum of three years of higher education experience with successful teaching
- Current certification by NCCPA
- Licensed in North Carolina as a Physician Assistant or eligible to seek and gain licensure
- Experience with teaching and curriculum development in a PA program
- Leadership experience in a PA program
- Experience with the ARC-PA accreditation process
About The Institution
About Methodist University:
Methodist University is a vibrant, diverse, and welcoming community located in Fayetteville, North Carolina. The 617-acre campus includes state-of-the-art academic buildings, a renowned art gallery, and an amphitheater. The University offers bachelor’s degrees in more than 80 fields of study (majors and concentrations) including mass communications, criminal justice, business administration, engineering, forensic science, graphic design, psychology, education, and social work. The University offers master’s degree programs in physician assistant studies, health administration, nursing, and business administration; along with doctoral-level programs in physical therapy (DPT) and occupational therapy (OTD).
The purpose of Methodist University is to provide an undergraduate and graduate education firmly grounded in the liberal arts tradition that nurtures moral values and ethical decision making; to provide distinctive professional and graduate programs that complement the undergraduate programs; to provide educational and cultural services and resources to the community; and to prepare students for a variety of careers and educational pursuits.
About the College of Health Sciences and Human Services (CHSHS):
The College of Health Sciences & Human Services at Methodist University prepares students for careers in various health care and human services fields. The following departments are included within the College of Health Sciences & Human Services: Health Care Administration, Kinesiology, Nursing, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, Physician Assistant Studies, and Social Work.
The mission of the College of Health Sciences & Human Services at Methodist University is to prepare undergraduate and graduate students for careers as health professionals. Programs in the College of Health Sciences & Human Services support collaboration between the health disciplines and are committed to lifelong learning as evidenced by critical thinking, compassionate and caring interactions, and the delivery of ethical and evidence-based health care services to research and/or promote health and wellness locally, regionally, and globally.
About the Physician Assistant Program:
Methodist University’s Physician Assistant program is a fully accredited, seven-semester graduate program with an enrollment of 40 students each year (aggregate enrollment 120). The program graduated its first cohort of 4 students in 1998 and has since graduated over 650 PA’s. The program is a full-time, 136 credit curriculum comprised of 27 months of didactic coursework and supervised clinical practice experiences. The program has a 95% five-year average first time taker pass rate on the PANCE. The program is housed on the main university campus with a three-building complex dedicated solely to the program, including an anatomy laboratory for cadaver dissection. The program’s mission is to develop competent clinicians within a supportive, engaging, culturally diverse environment which fosters spiritual, academic, and social growth. Our graduates will become integrated into communities striving for excellence in healthcare through compassion, professionalism, and lifelong learning. The Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) has granted Accreditation-Continued status to the Methodist University Physician Assistant Program. The approximate date for the next validation review of the program by the ARC-PA will be September 2027. For more information about the program, including a virtual tour, click here: https://www.methodist.edu/paprogram/
About The Community
About Fayetteville, North Carolina:
Fayetteville is a thriving community located in the Sandhills region of southeastern North Carolina. Raleigh, the state’s capital, is approximately 65 miles north of Fayetteville, and Charlotte, a major commercial center, is about 200 miles to the west of the city. The city of Fayetteville is North Carolina’s sixth largest metropolitan area and is home to over 210,000 people.
One of Fayetteville’s greatest assets is its thriving downtown area and the vibrant arts and cultural community. From theatres to museums for adults and children, there is something available downtown for everyone. The Airborne and Special Operations Museum honors the City’s unique connection to our service members, and a variety of festivals and special events are held throughout the year in downtown and across the city. Fayetteville offers a plethora of historic sites, local breweries, local sporting events, and shopping areas across the city as well.
All correspondence relating to the position of Director for the Physician Assistant Program at Methodist University should be directed in confidence to the University’s executive search consultant:
Erin House, Assistant Vice President
Scott Healy & Associates
A complete application should include the following:
- Letter of intent
- Curriculum vitae
- Teaching philosophy statement
- Contact information for three references, and
- Concise equity and diversity statement about teaching or other experiences, successes, and challenges in working with a diverse student population (can be included within the letter of intent).
Applications received by December 9, 2022 will receive priority consideration. The search will remain open until the position is filled.
Methodist University is committed to the concept and practice of equal opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, or disability. Therefore, Methodist University does not discriminate on the basis of any of the above characteristics in educational programs, admissions policies, financial aid, employment, promotions, pay, tenure, disciplinary action, layoffs, or termination of employment.