Researcher in the Health Sciences
- December 8, 2021
- Priority Deadline to Apply:
- March 7, 2022
- University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio
The University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio, in partnership with the search firm Scott Healy & Associates, is pleased to announce a national search for an accomplished Researcher in the Health Sciences. Reporting to the Associate Dean for Research, the Open Rank Research Faculty Member will have a full-time tenure or tenure-track faculty appointment, depending on education, experience and related qualifications. The School of Health Professions seeks an individual with a history of successful external funding capable of engaging in collaborative research in an area aligned with the School of Health Professions and University.
- Secure research grant funding in a health-related discipline (e.g. health/healthcare outcomes research; rehabilitation sciences; acute care; chronic disease management; community health; population health; data analytics; applied physiology, pathology or medical laboratory sciences; or other discipline specific research foci);
- Conduct healthcare research that supports departmental, school, and university missions;
- Publish and disseminate research to national and international audiences;
- Collaborate and create supportive partnerships both within and outside the program, school, and University; and
- Mentor/supervise doctoral student research in research area focus, as assigned.
- Possess an earned doctorate relevant to a School of Health Professions department with experience as an independent researcher;
- Successful track record of obtaining grant funding, evidence of active grant funding that is portable preferred;
- Ability to work independently and as an effective team member;
- Evidence of publication in peer refereed journals; and
- Excellent communication skills.
About The Institution
University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio: UT Health
The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio is one of the country’s leading academic health centers. UT Health ranks among the top health science universities worldwide in receiving National Institutes of Health (NIH) funding and has provided outstanding health science education and training since its founding in 1968.
The mission of UT Health San Antonio is to make lives better through excellence in education, research, health care and community engagement. Strategies for achieving this mission include:
- Educating a diverse student body to become excellent health care providers and scientists;
- Engaging in research to understand health and disease;
- Providing compassionate and culturally proficient health care;
- Engaging our community to improve health;
- Influencing thoughtful advances in health policy.
In fulfillment of this mission, UT Health San Antonio seeks to provide the best in health career education, conduct groundbreaking biomedical research, while also providing the best patient care and community service to San Antonio and the South Texas/Border Region. With undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate programs, UT Health San Antonio is a major academic health science university composed of five schools: School of Medicine, School of Health Professions, School of Nursing, Dental School, and Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences. For more information on UT Health visit our website at uthscsa.edu.
The School of Health Professions
As an integral part of UT Health San Antonio, the School of Health Professions (SHP) seeks to make lives better through excellence in teaching, research and scholarship, service and patient care. The SHP strives to educate a diverse student body in becoming outstanding health care practitioners, scientists and leaders; advance health research and scholarship; and provide health services and education to the community.
The SHP offers graduate degrees in Medical Laboratory Sciences (MS), Physician Assistant Studies (MPAS), Respiratory Care (MS) and Speech Language Pathology (MS) and advanced training through doctoral degree programs in Occupational Therapy (OTD) and Physical Therapy (DPT). A PhD in Health Sciences program to prepare future faculty and researchers in allied health. The school also offers several undergraduate (BS) degree programs including Respiratory Care, Medical Laboratory Science, and Emergency Health Sciences. A new BS degree program in Health Sciences was recently approved by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) to begin in the Fall of 2022.
About The Community
About the San Antonio, TX Community:
San Antonio is a dynamic and multi-cultural metropolitan area in the south-central part of the state. With a population of more than 2.23 million people, the greater San Antonio region is the 25th largest metropolitan area in the United States, with more growth on the horizon. It’s the second-largest populated city in Texas and seventh in the U.S.
San Antonio lays claim to six Fortune 500 companies and the South Texas Medical Center, the only medical research and care provider in the South Texas region. The Medical Center is made up of 75 medically related institutions, more than 45 clinics, 12 major hospitals, to include a Level 1 trauma center, one higher education institution, and countless small practices, offices, and non-medical businesses. These institutions are responsible for groundbreaking research, helping advance medical technology everywhere. They provide state-of-the-art healthcare services to patients from all over South Texas, the US, and the world.
San Antonio has a strong military presence as well. Fort Sam Houston, Lackland Air Force Base, Randolph Air Force Base (which constitute Joint Base San Antonio), the Kelly Field Annex, and Brooks City-Base are in or near the city.
Famous for its Spanish missions – which are World Heritage Sites – the Alamo, the River Walk, the Tower of the Americas, the Alamo Bowl, and major theme parks, the city is visited by approximately 26 million tourists annually. The city is also home to the five-time NBA champion San Antonio Spurs and the annual San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo, one of the largest of its kind in the country.
Applicants should include a letter of interest, current curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information for three professional references. Submit applications through the UT Health Careers website at https://bit.ly/3s2KwjF or send materials directly to the University’s search consultant:
Mr. Christopher S. Healy
Scott Healy & Associates
Applications received by March 7, 2022, will receive priority consideration. The position will remain open until filled.
All faculty appointments are designated as security sensitive positions. The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer including protected veterans and persons with disabilities.